As a passionate guitar enthusiast, I understand the importance of finding the perfect instrument that resonates with your style and preferences. When it comes to acoustic guitars, one brand that stands out for its exceptional craftsmanship and quality is Eastman. In this buying guide, I’ll share valuable insights and recommendations to help you navigate the world of Eastman acoustic guitars with confidence.
Types of Eastman Acoustic Guitars
Eastman offers a wide range of acoustic guitars, each with its own unique characteristics and tonal qualities. Whether you’re a fingerstyle player or a strummer, there’s a perfect Eastman guitar for you. Let’s explore some specific models within each class:
Eastman E1D – The Eastman E1D Dreadnought is a popular choice among guitarists seeking a classic sound with modern craftsmanship. It features a solid Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides, delivering a balanced tone with excellent projection. The E1D is suitable for a wide range of playing styles, from strumming chords to flatpicking melodies.
Eastman E10D – For those seeking a high-end Dreadnought experience, the Eastman E10D is a fantastic option. It boasts a solid Adirondack spruce top and mahogany back and sides, offering a powerful and dynamic sound. The E10D’s responsiveness and rich tonal character make it a preferred choice for professional musicians and avid guitar enthusiasts.
Orchestra Model (OM)
Eastman E2OM – The Eastman E2OM Orchestra Model is a versatile and comfortable guitar suitable for both fingerstyle players and strummers. It features a solid Sitka spruce top and Sapele back and sides, producing a balanced and articulate tone. The E2OM’s smaller body size enhances comfort while maintaining excellent projection and clarity.
Eastman E6OM – Designed with a vintage aesthetic, the Eastman E6OM Orchestra Model offers a warm and rich sound. Its solid Adirondack spruce top and mahogany back and sides contribute to its exceptional tonal depth and complexity. The E6OM is favored by fingerstyle players and those seeking a guitar with excellent responsiveness and tonal expressiveness.
Grand Auditorium (GA)
Eastman E1SS-CLA – The Eastman E1SS-CLA Grand Auditorium is a stunning guitar designed for both stage performances and recording. It features a solid Adirondack spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides, delivering a balanced and versatile sound with a strong mid-range presence. The E1SS-CLA’s elegant design, clarity, and tonal versatility make it a top choice for discerning musicians.
Eastman AC122CE – Offering affordability without compromising quality, the Eastman AC122CE Grand Auditorium is a fantastic option for players seeking a reliable and feature-packed guitar. It features a solid Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides, providing a balanced and warm tone. The AC122CE also comes equipped with an onboard pickup system, making it ideal for live performances and studio recordings.
Eastman E10P – The Eastman E10P Parlor guitar pays homage to vintage instruments, providing a unique and intimate playing experience. With its solid Adirondack spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides, it produces a warm and responsive tone reminiscent of blues and folk traditions. The E10P’s compact size and vintage-inspired design make it an excellent choice for both fingerstyle players and those who appreciate nostalgic aesthetics.
Eastman PCH1-GACE – Combining affordability and playability, the Eastman PCH1-GACE Parlor guitar is a great entry-level option. It features a solid Sitka spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides, offering a balanced and resonant sound. The PCH1-GACE also includes an onboard pickup system, making it suitable for performances and practice sessions.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Eastman Acoustic Guitars
- When purchasing an Eastman acoustic guitar, there are several factors to keep in mind to ensure you make the right choice:
Quality of Construction and Craftsmanship
- Eastman guitars are renowned for their exceptional build quality and attention to detail. Inspect the guitar for flawless construction, clean binding, and smooth finishes.
Tonewood Selection and its Impact on Tone
- The choice of tonewoods significantly influences the overall sound of an acoustic guitar. Eastman offers a range of options, including Sitka spruce, Adirondack spruce, mahogany, rosewood, and maple. Consider the tonal characteristics you desire and choose accordingly.
Body Style and its Influence on Sound Projection
- Different body styles produce distinct sound profiles. The Dreadnought offers volume and power, while the OM and GA provide balance and versatility. The Parlor and Slope Shoulder models offer a more intimate sound, perfect for solo performances.
Neck Profile and Playability
- The neck profile affects how comfortable the guitar feels in your hands. Eastman guitars typically have comfortable neck shapes, allowing for smooth fretting and easy movement across the fingerboard. Choose a neck profile that suits your playing style.
Electronics and Amplification Options
- If you plan to perform live or record, consider whether the guitar has built-in electronics or the option to install pickups. Eastman offers models with excellent onboard preamps and pickup systems, ensuring reliable amplification.
Sound and Tone
- One of the most crucial aspects of any acoustic guitar is its sound and tone. Eastman guitars are celebrated for their exceptional tonal qualities and versatility. Here’s an overview of what you can expect:
- Eastman guitars produce a rich, balanced tone with excellent clarity and projection. The choice of tonewoods contributes to the overall sound. Spruce tops offer brightness and articulation, while mahogany imparts warmth and depth. Rosewood adds complexity and resonance.
- The tonal character of Eastman guitars is known for its versatility. Whether you’re strumming chords, fingerpicking intricate melodies, or exploring various genres, these guitars respond exceptionally well, providing a wide dynamic range and responsiveness.
- The craftsmanship and attention to detail in Eastman guitars ensure that each instrument’s tonal properties are optimized. The top-notch construction techniques result in guitars that resonate freely and produce a rich and vibrant sound.
Playability and Comfort
- When searching for the perfect acoustic guitar, playability is a crucial factor. Fortunately, Eastman guitars are designed with player comfort in mind. Here’s what makes them a joy to play:
- The neck profiles on Eastman guitars are thoughtfully designed to offer a comfortable playing experience. Whether you prefer a slim and fast neck or a slightly chunkier profile, there’s a suitable option available.
- The fingerboard options, such as ebony or rosewood, offer smooth and responsive playing surfaces. The fretwork is precise, allowing for accurate intonation and effortless fretting across the entire fingerboard.
- The action, which refers to the height of the strings above the fretboard, is carefully set on Eastman guitars to strike the right balance between playability and optimal tone production. This ensures that you can play with ease without sacrificing the quality of sound.
- The overall ergonomics of Eastman guitars are well-considered. The body contours and shapes are designed to fit comfortably against your body, allowing for extended playing sessions without discomfort or fatigue.
Price Range of Eastman Acoustic Guitars
- One of the notable advantages of Eastman acoustic guitars is their affordability without compromising quality. While they may not be the cheapest option on the market, Eastman guitars offer exceptional value for the price. Here’s why:
- Eastman guitars are handcrafted using high-quality materials and traditional construction methods. Despite their craftsmanship and attention to detail, they are priced competitively compared to other brands offering similar features and tonal characteristics.
- By investing in an Eastman guitar, you’re getting a professional-grade instrument at a more accessible price point. The combination of excellent build quality, tonal versatility, and playability makes them a smart choice for both beginners and experienced players alike.
Reviews and Customer Feedback
- When considering a purchase, it’s always beneficial to hear from other guitarists who have experienced the instrument firsthand. Eastman guitars have garnered positive reviews and feedback from musicians around the world. Here’s why customers love them:
- Guitarists praise the exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail that goes into every Eastman guitar. The build quality and materials used are often compared to guitars that are much more expensive, highlighting the value proposition.
- The tonal qualities and versatility of Eastman guitars have impressed many musicians. They appreciate the wide dynamic range, clarity, and projection that these guitars offer across different playing styles and genres.
- Customers often express satisfaction with the playability and comfort of Eastman guitars. The smooth neck profiles, well-dressed frets, and ergonomic body designs contribute to a pleasurable playing experience.
Maintenance and Care
- To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your Eastman acoustic guitar, proper maintenance and care are essential. Here are some tips to keep your instrument in top condition:
- Regularly clean your guitar using a soft cloth to remove dust and fingerprints. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that may damage the finish.
- Change your strings regularly to maintain a fresh and vibrant tone. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for string gauges and types suitable for your specific Eastman guitar model.
- Protect your guitar from extreme temperature and humidity changes. Use a humidifier in dry environments to prevent the wood from drying out, and store your guitar in a suitable case when not in use.
- Consider investing in quality accessories such as a sturdy guitar stand, a humidifier, and a hardshell case to provide additional protection and convenience.
If you’re in the market for an acoustic guitar that combines exceptional craftsmanship, versatile tonal qualities, and affordability, Eastman guitars are an excellent choice. With a variety of models to suit different playing styles and preferences, Eastman offers instruments that deliver on both performance and value. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned player, an Eastman guitar is a reliable companion that will inspire you to create beautiful music for years to come.
Eastman Acoustic Guitars FAQs
- Are Eastman acoustic guitars suitable for beginners? Absolutely! Eastman offers a range of models suitable for beginners. They provide excellent playability, value for money, and tonal versatility that can help beginners explore different styles of music.
- Can I use an Eastman acoustic guitar for live performances? Yes, many professional musicians use Eastman guitars for live performances. Some models come with built-in electronics, or you can easily install pickups to amplify your sound on stage.
- Do Eastman guitars come with a warranty? Yes, Eastman guitars come with a warranty that covers any manufacturing defects. The length and terms of the warranty may vary, so it’s important to check the specific warranty details for the model you’re interested in.
- How do Eastman guitars compare to other well-known brands? Eastman guitars are often praised for their exceptional quality, craftsmanship, and tonal characteristics. They are considered on par or even superior to many well-known brands in terms of construction, sound, and playability. However, it’s always recommended to try out different guitars and compare them to find the one that suits your personal preferences.
- Are Eastman acoustic guitars handmade? Yes, Eastman acoustic guitars are handcrafted using traditional methods and techniques. Skilled luthiers meticulously shape, assemble, and finish each instrument, ensuring the highest level of craftsmanship and attention to detail.
Remember, choosing the right acoustic guitar is a personal decision based on your playing style, preferences, and budget. By considering the factors discussed in this buying guide and exploring the diverse range of Eastman acoustic guitars, you’re on your way to finding the perfect instrument that will inspire and elevate your musical journey.